10/21/2023

FUBAR First Time

I had the intention of playing FUBAR since its origins so today I finally had a small game with two squads of Germans plus a PAK 40, defending a farm from two squads of US plus one Sherman and one Halftrack, to try a bit of everything and get a general taste of these rules.

The Pak40 shot and hit the M4 but didn't penetrate its frontal armour. The Sherman activated and fired all its weapons, suppressing the crew. The Halftrack moved to the right and disembarked a squad, but it got damaged by a panzerfaust. Another squad advanced on the left. All Germans were On Guard.

Half squad disembarked on the left, giving supporting fire with the BAR to the other half squad  who tried to approach on the right flank but received a lot of fire from the Germans.

They finally assaulted the defensive German position behind the hedge.

After three turns US troops won the combat.

Meanwhile the Sherman finished the Pak40, as well as the other German squad with supporting fire from a squad.

German lost all their effectives whereas US only lost half squad.


 I liked the rules and I'm seeing myself playing more games in the future with them as it can be played solo. I think I am going to test a game with more tanks and see how it goes.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting. I too have had FUBAR for ages and always thought it would be great for solo play. But I just seem to always find some other rules to use! Great to see you using FUBAR and hope it spurs me on to give them a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give it a go; I think you'll like it. Still, I also want to play some more games, and with more tanks. Also, I want to try their medieval version; but there are also the one page rules system that I want to try.

      Delete
  2. I've downloaded and read Fubar, but not played it yet. Always interesting to see how it plays out in practice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can say I played it and I liked it, although I'll play a few more games before adopting it as official WWII solo platoon skirmish rules.

      Delete
  3. FUBAR are excellent rules, and probably the very best you can find for free. I've tried a lot of free wargame rules I've reviewed on my blog, but FUBAR are one of my favourites.
    https://modelrailsandwargames.blogspot.com/2022/11/fubar.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly my own experience. I'm a rule junk and I cannot find easier and better rules than this one. It's not only simple and fun, but very versatile as well. I'll check your blog, thanks.

      Delete