1/01/2023

Assassination

It is new year and I have decided to leave Fantasy for a while and play some sci-fi with my long-forgotten 15mm miniatures and house rules I love to tinker with from time to time.

This mission is Assassination and the objective is well, to assassinate somebody, ahem. So my squad of six men, three regulars better equipped and armed than the other three who are new recruits. The target is in the small building with two bodyguard veterans armed with big pistol and assault rifle respectively. The big building is a Spawn Point (barracks) that generates yellow Blips once shooting starts.

There are two Blips of sentinels in the outside perimeter of the camp. I deploy wherever I want at 10" range and try to go stealth to avoid generating Blips so soon.

The board is a DBA 3.0 80 x 80 cm board. The yellow Blips are possible enemy forces and the orange D10 is marking turns. All missions work on a clock and player only receive Victory Points if done under 10 turns.

I deployed my squad South of the camp, behind the hills.

Player always moves first. I charge the only sentinel in hand-to-hand combat to avoid making noise, but he is tougher than expected and wounds one of my men, although he is finally put down.

The other half of the squad runs towards the objective while one man covers them in Overwatch from the ridge of the hill.

In the next turn I throw two HE hand grenades through the windows but only one goes off. The blast wounds the two bodyguards and lets everybody concussed and without activating this turn. The first Blip is generated in the barracks. The one already inside is only resolved and activates if any of my men enter in the building.

The generated Blip gets a "They are coming!" result which means next one gets +1 in the roll. Meanwhile, the Blip of sentinels moves down and is resolved by the squaddie in the hill on Overwatch. They are three regulars with rifles and one veteran sniper. He fires his SAW but only manages to kill one soldier, and then the rest fire and kill him. The SAW man did not kill many enemies but at least he stopped them before the could reach the corner and fire at his mates in the open.

 
Seeing enemies incoming I move back a bit and set most of my men on Overwatch while one of them fires twice inside the building and kills the VIP target. The new Blip generated in the barracks is one trooper who is instantly downed by one of my men with a grenade launcher. 
On the left, the sentinels pop out and the sniper in the hill is killed and a grunt in the corner wounded by opportunity fire.

The sentinels throw a hand grenade and hits and wounds one of my soldiers. The bodyguards heal themselves with their medkits but do not move.

Having successfully killed the VIP now I have to leave the battlefield as soon as possible, so two of my men run towards the nearest border while the rest covers them. They finish the rest of the sentinels with a well put round from the grenade launcher. My leader fires and hits nothing and gets out of ammo.

Before they all leave the board one bodyguard fires and wounds one of my men, but he is not killed and manages to flee (I did not stop to heal, reload or return fire). They all leave the battlefield on turn 6 so they get 5 Victory Points plus another 5 VPs for successfully acomplishing the mission. I could have looted down enemies and buildigs but I did not because that would have made me lose too many turns and VPs and also because there were active enemies in the area. 

I forgot to EVAC my man out of fight on the hill but I rolled on the recovery chart at the end of the game for curiosity and he got a result of "just another scar" and fully recovered from his wounds, so now he is prisoner and next time I may try to rescue him.

All in all, a short and sweet encounter, and happy with the outcome of the mission and how rules worked.

Happy New Year!



4 comments:

  1. Looks like it was a fun game Javier. The table and figures look great. Happy New Year and all the best for 2023.
    Thank you for all the posts on your blog. I enjoy reading them and appreciate the effort you put in to write them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for your comment Ben. Writing batreps is work but it is also fun and they motivate me to keep painting and gaming. I also wish you the best for 2023, happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We could say that the year started well... with an assassination!
    Seriously, we also appreciated your report, even if we are not fans of sci-fi. Do you think the game can be easily adapted to a fantasy scenario too, naturally with some adjustments regarding the weapons (handguns and bows instead of rifles and grenade launchers)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your support as well Rodor. I'm afraid you are not going to see too much fantasy until next summer, but you can check old fantasy campaigns I have in the blog. The encounter can very easily adapted to Fantasy and as you said, you only have to change weapons and add some magic if you wish.

      Delete