9/12/2018

Crossfire with FOW minis

Almost nine years have passed since the last time I played Crossfire and here we are again but this time with FOW armies. As everybody in these parts have a FOW army I decided to buy a second-hand one and try to lure some disenchanted ex-FOW players into Crossfire.

This report you can see here is our second game which we played in the local shop El Kraken using its boards and terrain, and so far my victim is loving the game! and I hope to draw a few players more into the dark side.

We played the second generic scenario in the rules at level company, Bridgehead. I play '44 Germans and my opponent his British paratroopers; he defended. Germans deployed at the bottom, in the ruins, British at the top, in front of them. They used two barbed wires on the left and two hidden minefields on the right. I have to capture and hold for five consecutive initiative phases four pieces of terrain in his half of the table.


 Starting of turn one. The calm before the storm.

Closer picture. As you can see by the markings in the back of the bases, 1st platoon with PC+2 and HMG is on the left, a reserve platoon at the back , CC and HMG in the middle and out of sight on the right and lined behind the hedge, the 3rd platoon.

Closer picture of my FOW bargain Germans 1st platoon (PC+2 plus 2 squads). I bought them unpainted so the painting you see is all mine.

British player advanced his two unattached HMGs from the fields to the hedges and I cross fired them with my 1st platoon and suppressed one HMG and pinned another squad; then I withdrew my platoon in reserve and then I sneaked them behind the hedges on the left flank and assault the position.

I won the close combat on the HMG but my squad resulted pinned and couldn't reach the other enemy infantry squad. What you see on the left is his 2" mortar FO that later I automatically eliminated in close combat when I first destroyed his surviving infantry squad. Second objective taken; the first one was a mined building in front of my troops that can barely be seen at top right of the picture.
  
Meanwhile on the right flank I fired several times my 81mm mortar with devastating effects and took the opportunity to risk another close combat assault on the forest which after some struggle and back and forth action I managed to hold. Third objective taken.

With three objectives taken I bombed the hill in the centre with my both 81mm and 120mm mortars and then assaulted it.

I took the hill (objective four) and then he received 12 points platoon reinforcement but he couldn't do anything with them as the rest of his forces were practically annihilated and every time he tried to jump over the hedge I suppressed most of his squads until we reach five initiative phases and Germans won the match.

We both had great fun and very good vibrations with this rule set, I had to re-learn everything as if it was the first time, and my opponent was talking about having more games and about involving some of his friends in it, so it was a great success on all accounts!

Long life Crossfire!

6 comments: