8/10/2024

Perry's WWII US infantry

I wanted to try the new Vallejo Game Wash Dipping Formula. I was very exited that finally there was an acrylic dipping, so I tried on some Us infantry that I also wanted to paint and here is the result. But I have to say that I did not quite like the final result so I added quick lights all over the figures to cover the yellowy finish except on the brown trousers.

 

I must say that this dipping is not like Minwax nor even as Army Painter as it stains a bit too much and it is not as dark. I'd say is more a wash than a dipping. Actually, there are already people using it as a substitute for GW's Devlan Mud because it gets similar results, it contains the equivalent of 8-9 bottles of Devlan and it is much cheaper. 8 euros for 200 ml.

But I wanted a dipping. I've tried to get Minwax without success and I also tried different home made dippings with more or less luck through the years. Right now, the one it works better for me within the acrylic range is a home made mix with acrylic betumen of Judea and floor wax that is also stains, but still I prefer it to the new Vallejo dipping.

The product has a good consistency for being acrylic and smells good, but sitll drips slightly faster than oil based, and sometimes top parts are not properly covered. Besides, as I say, it stains the surface too much for my taste and it is not dark enough. So far there is only Sepia and Black.

This is also the first time I paint some Perry's miniatures. The figures are well proportioned and look very natural although I'd love to see a little more definition on them, but the box is a bargain with 42 figures in it.

I did a comparative picture with some 1/72 Italeri figures, painted with Betumen of Judea and lights, and you can see the difference in how detailed are the small ones compared to the Perrys.

I love 1/72 ranges, especially for WWII. In my opion, 1/72 scale is the best possible scale to play WWII due to its huge variety of models, a scale that looks more natural on the battlefield, it is very cheap and it is quite more easy to store, including its terrain. But I'm afraid I am going to get rid of it and start with 28mm as absolutely nobody where I live does 1/72, so my options are to either play solo at home with 1/72 or play with people at 28mm. I suppose this 1/72 scale must be something of old school and with people who played it in the seventies and eighties like me, because in my experience, young poeple does not even know this scale exists. They only know 15 mm for Fog of War or Yanquee Team and 28mm for Bolt Action.



4 comments:

  1. Awesome result on the figures Javier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ben. I'll paint next batch with home made dip and compare it with them.

      Delete
  2. The Perry minis look good. It's a pity, you can't find anyone else gaming in 1/72, I agree it's a great scale for WWII, but maybe that's my age talking as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. We grow up with WWII movies and Airfix 1/72. Cheers Alan.

    ReplyDelete