6/17/2023

Aroooo!

These magnificient 1/72 wolves are from Nikolai and they come seven in one blister. I have painted three in brown, three in grey and one in black as bit of experiment. They are thin, small and fragile, but a joy to paint.

As you see, they are great sculpts, very dynamic and with a variety of poses.


These two are my favourites, They are rather menacing and scary.

Here's a few comparative scale shots. This a Zvezda Viking.

Another one.

And this a farm dog from Pegasus Hobbies. -Huh, hello friend....?

And with a sheep from Pegasus Hobbies. The wolves look a bit big next to the animals but not that big as to look weird.

I am very happy with them.


4 comments:

  1. These are reallrfantastic! Is there any chance you could do a post on how you pay red these? I have some Nikk Lund wolf riders to do, and if I could get their mounts to be half as good as this I'd be very pleased with myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alan! I'm afraid I didn't take pictures during the process and I don't have any more wolves to paint again and show you, but I can tell you how I did it. I block painted them with two colors, their backs darker than the rest of the body. For grey wolves I used Vallejo Dark grey and for the brown ones Vallejo Flat brown; for the bodies Vallejo neutral grey and flat earth. After that, I drybrushed them with different tones of ligh grey and brown and the same block colour but adding white, especially in their legs and faces. Once drybrushing is done I started with washes, I don't remember exactly which washes I used as I use a lot of them as I see they fit: GW devlan mud and Agrax Earthshade, but also Army Painter flesh wash, soft tone, strong tone and dark tone. The darker tones only in the recess areas. I recommend you to watch Doctor Faustus painting clinic and look for their videos on painting fur; it's what I did. Hope this helps )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, thank you! I shall check out those videos and give it a try.

      Delete
    2. You are welcome :)
      In the same website you also look for Frost Giant and Werebear to learn more about furs.

      Delete