1/05/2023

Rescue

All right, so I decided to go and try to rescue my missing soldier and play a Rescue mission. The prisoner is being held in a small secret base in the middle of a jungle. I recruited a seasoned soldier and equipped him and the rest of the squad with better weapons and armour. 

I start the mission splitting my squad into two teams and deploying them 10" away from the camp on top and left sides. After that, I roll to deploy in which building the prisoner is held. The blue tokens are Blips of possible enemies, the one in the building is where the prisoner is, and the orange die marks the turns.

The team at the top advances through the bushes and reveals a Blip wich turns into a Boss, a veteran Grey Alien.

The team shoots and wounds the boss, making him to take cover. Meanwhile, the other team approaches to the objective building.

The Alien boss moves out but it is fire in Overwatch and wounded again and he hides back behind the bushes. Some of my troops enter the building but it is empty! They liberate their comrade and take the opportunity to clean and loot the building. They get two victory points. Now a new Blip comes from the West.

On turn four two Blips of enemies emerge from the bottom right building. They are three regulars and two Aliens, one with automatic laser rifle. The trooper behind the white crates fires on Overwatch and wounds four of them with his SAW, making them run for cover and two panicking.

In the next turn the Aliens recover and kill the squaddie with the SAW. One Alien tries a Psi attack from the window but it fails.

My troops are trying to flee but more enemies exit the top left building. The leader fires and stops them for a moment.

One enemy soldier panics but the other two fire and kill the guy I was rescuing! Mission failed!

I rally one of my men from panic and then frantically exit the board with all of them on turn 8, so I would receive 2 VPs for finishing before turn 10 but as I failed the mission they are denied, and the only points I get are those two from looting the building. Also, I lost another man apart from the one I went to rescue.

I could not use my automatic missile launcher but neither the Alien Boss could do anything against me as it was suppressed the whole game waiting for some backup. My leader proved essential to help his soldiers pass all their morale tests. Regretfully, the guy I was rescuing got shot in the open and the misson was a failure. I lost 10 VPs and some Alien tech weapons I could not pick up.

6 comments:

  1. "He who lives by the sword (or rifle) will perish by the sword (or missile launcher)"... For one of their murdered men, they killed two of yours: we would say that the conclusion cries out for vengeance. And the next mission will not be considered a success if at least three enemies are not left to rot on the battlefield!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, well said but I think I will take it easy in the next mission and I'll babysit some arrogant nobles who want to experience what combat is, but they still shall be avenged ;-)

      Delete
  2. Great looking game and report Javier. Unlucky getting the rescued fighter shot on the way out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ben. You know, shit happens :)

      Delete
  3. Some you win, some you lose. Sounds like it was an exciting game though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun. I'm just testing the scenarios and tweaking here and there, and they are getting more and more interesting.

      Delete